Coat of arms
The coat of arms of Rastatt represents a split shield. In the front part the Baden coat of arms is depicted, in the rear part a wine ladder. In 1404, Rastatt, formerly Rastetten, received a weekly market privilege from King Ruprecht. Thanks to this and its convenient location, Rastetten developed into an important trading center, especially for Alsatian wine. With the depiction of a wine ladder or barrel ladder, which was used to rope the barrels off the wagon and into the wine cellar and was dialectally called "Raste", the town coat of arms refers to the market town "Rastetten". The red slanted bar on a golden background in the front part of the coat of arms also points to Rastatt's affiliation with Baden.
The coat of arms with a split shield was used as the officially approved coat of arms of the city of Rastatt from 1895. However, during the Third Reich and in the course of the Gleichschaltung of the states, cities were prohibited from using the state coat of arms on municipal seals. The Rastatt city planning office then designed a city seal that showed only the vine ladder. This coat of arms was never officially approved, but despite objections from the General State Archives, it was always used in the following period.
On December 18, 1995, the Rastatt municipal council, in remembrance of the democratic obligation of the city of Rastatt, finally unanimously passed the resolution to use the traditional coat of arms with a split shield again in the future, in accordance with the approval from the year 1895.
Please note: The city coat of arms is a sovereign sign of the city of Rastatt and is reproduced here solely for the purpose of documentation. Any use of the coat of arms in the public domain must be approved by the city of Rastatt.